Hi friends, I hope that you are having a great week! I know it's not earth day or anything but I wanted to share with you some small habits you can easily change that will have a big impact on the Earth. A fun fact about me is I orginally went to school to be an Environmental Engineer, so this is something near and dear to my heart.
- Use green products - Especially cleaning products. More cleaning products pollute the water and aren't biodegradable. They work just as well I promise!
- Turn off things you don't use at night
- Wash your clothes in cold water - Did you know that warm water doesn't really clean your clothes better? It's more about the soaps and likes dissolving likes (some chemistry class for ya). But 90% of energy used to clean your clothes is heating the water. Here are more ways to make your laundry more eco friendly.
- Use reusable silicon bags instead of ziploc. I found these at the container store.
- Use reusable bags at the grocery store - I have seen a lot of people just throw out these plastic bags, you can recycle them usually back at the store! But we have found we love the large canvas bags especially to haul things up to our third floor apartment
- Reusable water bottles - If you reuse plastic water bottles the plastic actually ends up seeping into your water (yuck!) Also a lot less waste.
- Pack your lunch - Not only do you save a ton of money but you don't waste food and less plastics are used in the transporting and making of your lunch!
- Meatless Monday - It takes a lot of energy to feed and take care of animals. If you go meatless one day that makes a huge impact! "It requires 2,500 gallons of water to produce one pound of beef."
- Buy Local - Not only are you helping your community but less energy and gas was used transporting your food.
- Recycle your clothing - I love recycling my clothing at H&M. They either donate gently used clothes or recycle old ones and make them into something new!
- Recycle - Think about all the papers you use through out the day, recycling all of that can make a big impact.
- Change your thermostat a degree - Even this can have a big impact overall, just cuddle closer or open a window when you can!
- Go off grid for a few hours a week - Reading a book or going for a walk rather and having everything plugged in all the time will reflect on your energy bill!
- Try to use dish towels instead of paper towels.
- Switch out your light bulbs - Eco friendly lights use less energy and can last more than twice as long.
Here are some more articles in case you are interested! One &
I'd love to hear any thoughts you have or easy ways that you have become eco-friendly!!