Hey Guys! So as you may know I recently moved last week and one of my best friends moved too! We live in different places but we had many conversations on apartment searching, decor, and furniture. I thought it would be a great idea to put a post together on our thoughts about all things moving and apartment living. My apartment is pretty modern with some cozy items, and my colors are cool tones like grey and blues with metallic accents. My friend Alix would describe her apartment as classic with a modern twist and her colors are, grey with some navy. So welcome to the apartment trilogy!
First up: Our Favorite Places to shop for our apartment!
My Favorite Places:
1. Target- YAS TARGET. Sorry but after my 47 trips there and the closest Target to me being the kind that stages living areas, I’m even more in love than I was before. I think that Target is what inspired my love for gold décor. This store usually has just about everything you need and not only that but a variety, so there is something for everyone. I got things from planners, frames, cork-board, candles, candle holders, geo shapes to household items like step-stools (Bed Bath & Beyond did not have that in store for some reason [insert mad emjoi]). I also fell in love with a lot of my items from Target which I think is really important when decorating to love your different pieces.
2. Ikea – Feel very very lucky if you are able to have a store near you. Thankfully there is a store about 20 minutes away from me here in Cincinnati and we were able to get a TON of things here for very low cost. Be warned most of it is "assembly required" which makes it so inexpensive but that is still worth it to me. I got some furniture from there in college and getting more stuff from there made it easy to have my rooms flow and have everything go together. I not only got a lot of furniture there, but also some really cool lighting that I didn’t see anywhere else.
3. Joss & Main – This is a company just like Wayfair. They have discounted items that are pretty unique, and this is where I got my bear painting, as seen on my Instagram. They have furniture, kitchen items, and artwork. I got some things I needed that were pretty inexpensive, but I will have to say that I had a good amount of trouble with their website with checking out and such so be careful of that.
1. Target: Obviously Target has everything under the sun, which makes it a fantastic place to shop for a new apartment. One of the best purchases for my apartment was a kitchen tool set for $20. It had everything from measuring cups, to spatulas, to a wine opener (VERY IMPORTANT). It was nice to actually have everything to cook with once I moved in and needed to open a can. They also have a fantastic picture frame selection, which was perfect for my need for a gallery wall.
2. Home Goods: I really like unique décor pieces so Home Goods is perfect for that. I found a tufted, studded dark grey chair for my living room that at any other place would be a fortune but there the price was totally doable. They also have really awesome artwork and I found a perfect geometric mirror for my gallery wall.
3. Antique stores: Going along with my love of unique pieces, antique stores are a great way to find a solid piece of furniture. My dresser in my bedroom I found at an antique store and I restored it with the help of my dad and painted it white. It is one of the sturdiest pieces of furniture I own and it has good sentimental value. I also have a mirrored side table that I found at an antique store up on Lake Erie that I fell in love with when I saw it. Finding pieces that come with a story is half of the fun of decorating. You can buy new furniture all you want but the pieces you searched for or restored are the ones you will always keep.
What are you favorite places to shop? We'd love to hear!