Simplifying Your Life Challenge
So I have been a little obsesses with this whole #newyearnewme thing. But I feel like the start of a new year is the perfect time to declutter, change routines and switch things up in a way that really benefit you. And they say it usually takes 21 or 28 days to make a habit. I can't remember the exact days but about a month. SO HERE I COME JANUARY! Ha
I followed along with The Simplified Planner account as they hosted the #simplifychallenge2017. I tracked it and wrote down (paraphrased) all the days for you so that you could do this challenge at any point. I figure a refresher in 6 months wouldn't hurt.
- Day 17 - Schedule a getaway for sometime in 2017. A vacation or stay-cation: put the dates in your planner.
- Day 18 - Buy a few birthday cards. Keep them on hand for birthdays that pop up that you're not prepared for.
- Day 19 - Pull out all the formal dresses in your closet that you'll never wear again and choose a charity to donate them to. Put the bag in your car to deliver it.
- Day 20 - Clean out your medicine cabinet. Trash duplicates and anything that may be expired. Make sure you have the essentials.
- Day 21 - Go put gas in your car today. While you're there, clean out your car. Throw trash away. Make this habit.
- Day 22 - Make a list of 10 easy go-to meals. Tape it to the fridge for simple planning.
- Day 23 - Create your own Sunday prep-list. what makes you feel prepared for the week ahead?
- Day 24 - Clean out your fridge, check expiration dates and throw things away.
- Day 25 - Write down ONE goal for this year, just one, tape it somewhere important so you see it every day.
- Day 26 - Organize your inbox. unroll.me Try my Flag or Trash method for Inbox 0 every day: red flag emails that need attention later. Delete everything else. Inbox 0. Done.
- Day 27 - Do nothing. Today is your day to be still for 10 minutes, Go outside and sit and soak in the world. Clear your mind. You deserve it.
- Day 28 - Stock up on the household items you use all the time. Pay attention to BOGO sales. Make a list of these.
- Day 29 - Write out three simple dinners you can make with the ingredients already in your pantry.
- Day 30 - Rest. Schedule 30 minutes alone once a week for the next four weeks for time to fill your well. You give away what you put in. Take care of yourself, you are worthy.
- Day 1 - Walk around with a trash bag (and recycle bin). Throw away papers, trash, water bottles. things with no match. Be ruthless
- Day 2 - Put things that make you happy on your bedside table. A clock and lamp. Move anything else.
- Day 3 - Dump out your purse and only put back the essentials
- Day 4 - Put your number on a Do Not Call list. 1.888.382.1222
- Day 5 - Start the habit of starting a small load of laundry every day (for me every other day).
- Day 6- Quit something today. Just say no.
- Day 7 - Restock anything that needs restocking, in your bathroom. Toilet paper, q-tips, cotton balls, etc.
- Day 8 - Detox your social media, unfollow anyone who doesn't inspire you. Remember Social media is a highlight reel.
- Day 9 - Clean off you desk, put only the essentials; computer, a cup of pens, lamp. Declutter. Wipe down the desk and keyboard.
- Day 10 - Simplify your phone- Delete old contacts and apps. Add a wallpaper that makes you happy (I sure can help you out there!)
- Day 11 - Set a reoccurring alarm for the weekday
- Day 12 - Walk around your house with a donate bag, schedule to drop it off or have it picked up right away.
- Day 13 - Do something with your photos & videos on your phone. Back them up of print them!
- Day 14 - Clear the clutter on your computer. Delete unused files, organize the important ones and clear the trash. Change your wallpaper!
- Day 15 - Take inventory of all the items you allow to come into your mailbox. Visit: catalogchoice.org directmail.com
- Day 16 - Write your morning checklist and tape it to your fridge. Write your evening checklist and tape it to your bathroom.
I loved this simplify challenge, especially all the giving away of things and clearing clutter out. I desperately needed to clean out my purse and other things. This just helped me to focus on one thing a day so it wasn't too overwhelmed. It helped to start the year fresh with less emails and overflow from last year. Im not sure how much I agree with stocking up on some household items just because then I feel like two are being used or Im over buying and spend too much. I try to buy those things when I really need them so Im just replacing what I need. Although I do always pay attention to deals! And I don't really use the things that come with cooking and things like that but all of the decluttering was helpful!!
I plan on doing this challenge twice a year so its not as much work next time! And be sure to check out the Simplified Planner, Emily's stuff is amazing!
What are your thoughts? Are you going to participate or try a few of these things?